Economic Development Specialist: Attraction
Invest Aurora is a 501c3 public/private economic development partnership dedicated to expanding economic opportunities in Aurora and developing a sustainable community for Aurora residents and businesses. Established in 2005, Invest Aurora is a key partner to the City of Aurora to increase Aurora’s economic vitality by marketing, outreach, research and data collection in partnership with the Mayor’s office of Economic Development.
Invest Aurora takes an active role in community and regional trade organizations implementing their outreach program to several hundred prospects per quarter. Invest Aurora is focused on business retention as well by visiting approximately 100 existing businesses annually. Sourcing and addressing key challenges for existing businesses is an important role for Invest Aurora in sustaining the strong business climate of the community. Also the marketing of the City and its assets to both the existing business community and potential business prospects is a role and responsibility taken on by Invest Aurora.
The primary responsibility for this position is the planning and execution of Invest Aurora’s business attraction programming, including foreign direct investment (FDI) strategy and is the primary liaison to the site selection and real estate communities and economic development partners in furthering the organization’s economic development programs. This person will work closely with the economic development specialist team to field inquiries from the development and business community to provide a clear path for success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively communicate the goals, programs and opportunities available for economic development in Aurora to a wide range of stakeholders including, businesses, citizens and elected officials.
- Responsible for the creation and management of available property database(s).
- Generates reports for marketing and business attraction and retention purposes.
- Promote and coordinate development opportunities in the community to private sector development interests. Prepare support data/site information reports, including possible city incentives.
- Responsible for the timely and professional submittal to RFP’s, RFI’s, and other inquiries for new and expanding businesses through external and in‐house databases.
- Research, develop and recommend new programs, projects or program improvements to enhance the attractiveness of Aurora as a business and investment location.
- This individual is an expert at Co‐star, LOIS, Retail Lease Trac and ESRI.
- Responsible for the further development of the site selector / real estate broker event program to directly engage with the real estate communities.
- Serves on various professional organizations, and economic development committees.
- Builds relationships with community leaders, businesses, and economic development partners.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, economic development, public or business administration, marketing, or a related field.
• Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in an economic development, business attraction and/or development research, workforce development, foreign direct investment strategy, community development planning, or a related field.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; excellent interpersonal skills.
• Must be able to be innovative to develop new and unique ways to create new business opportunities for the City.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, members of the public, and coworkers.
• Project management skills.
• Ability to multi‐task.
• Effective leadership skills and ability to positively influence others.