Starting a business is hard work, and we know that it can be difficult to know where to start. We work with our partner organizations to help you get your business up and running. Rest assured knowing that there are many local resources specifically designed to help your business prosper.
Setting Up Shop
Launching a successful brick-and-mortar business requires a thorough business plan and a substantial time investment. Throughout the process, different players will use your business plan and supplemental materials to assess your readiness and qualifications.
(ISCS has developed this tool to…) Follow the steps outlined in The Setting Up Shop Guideline to establish your business, plan ahead and hire the right people.
A Commercial Space Readiness Guidebook
Setting Up Shop Contents
- Laying the Groundwork: Creating Your Business Strategy
- Managing Capital: Estimating Costs, Budget and Securing Funding, Financing
- Narrowing The Search: Identifying the Right Real Estate
- Building the Vision: Designing and Constructing Your Space
- Getting to Launch: Marketing your Business
Finding a Business Location
Choosing a business location is perhaps the most important decision a new business owner will make, so it requires precise planning and research. It involves looking at demographics, assessing your supply chain, understanding your competition, staying on budget, and much more.
Invest Aurora’s Site Selection Services can help you identify the ideal location for your new or expanding business.
Schedule a site selection consultation with one of our Economic Development Specialists, today.
Planning your Opening Strategy
Opening a new business or expanding your current operation can be a daunting task involving multiple organizations and city departments. Developing the right opening strategy for your business can mean the difference between success and failure.
Invest Aurora’s Economic Development Specialists are here to help you develop the most effective opening/expanding strategy possible to get you up and running as quickly and effectively as possible.
Please contact us to set up a Business Opening Strategy Consultation with one of our Economic Development Specialists.
Obtaining City Approvals
Once you have identified a possible location for your new or expanding business, and before you sign a lease, you will need to assess if your new location is zoned appropriately for your business, and exactly what your build-out requirements may be.
The City of Aurora offers a streamlined one-stop-shop process providing you with access to representatives from all City Departments that will be involved in helping you open your business.
The Development Services Team is comprised of representatives from the following city departments:
- Planning & Zoning
- Engineering/Public Works
- Building and Permits
- City Clerk
- Invest Aurora
DST Meeting Preparation Documents
We recommend that you have the following available for your DST Meeting
- A detailed overview of your business plan including potential location, business model, hours of operation, number of employees.
- A site plan with as much detail as possible. While architectural drawings are not required at this point, the more detail you can give to the team the more detailed the feedback you will be given.
- Cut Sheets or details of equipment that will be installed (POS equipment details not required at this point).
- A detailed site plan is required at this point as it will have a direct impact on your liquor licensing
- A detailed menu of food service anticipated.